San Juan Capistrano, CA
Schedule An Appointment Today
Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm | Saturday: By Appointment Only
A quick way to improve on the look of your smile is to have your teeth whitened. Teeth whitening has been proven to not only improve appearance, but also raise self-esteem and confidence. The procedure is non-invasive and meant to improve the color of your teeth. Unlike at-home whitening treatments, professional in-office whitening can provide dramatic results over the duration of approximately 1 hour!
Tooth Sensitivity Concerns
Most teeth whitening systems will cause some form of temporary mild sensitivity. Sensitivity is caused by the active ingredient found in whitening solution – hydrogen peroxide. The great benefit to having your teeth whitened by a professional is that with an in-office treatment, you can be sure your dentist will cover and protect your gums from ever touching the whitening solution. Protecting your gums is essential to avoiding the side effects of weakened tooth enamel, overexposure thus causing burns or gum irritation. Sensitivity is normal for most patients and should go away within 24 hours of the whitening procedure.Make sure to speak to your dentist should you have any tooth sensitivity concerns. if you already have sensitive teeth, a professional in-office treatment may not be best. Your dentist can discuss with you in detail what other options are available to you so you can achieve your desired look.
How In-Office (Chairside) Whitening Works
When you go to a professional to whiten your teeth, a buffer gel is used to protect the gums and teeth's enamel from any damage. This extra step to protect your gums and enamel makes in-office whitening much safer than home whitening kits. This buffer gel is vital to keeping teeth healthy since the active ingredient in teeth whitening gel is hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide penetrates through tooth enamel to get to any discolored molecules beneath the surface of your teeth. With most in-office (chairside) whitening treatments, a blue light is used to activate the whitening gel giving you the pearly-white look you desire.
Types of Crowns Available
The material your dental crown is made from should be discussed between you and your dentist. Each material comes with it’s own pros and cons. The materials available for crowns are as follows:
- Stainless Steel Crowns: Most commonly used in crown procedures for children or as a temporary crown for adults
- Acrylic: Typically lighter and are easy to adjust and trim. More compatible with the denture base. The con to acrylic crowns is that they do put you at risk for abrasion against surrounding teeth. Acrylic crowns are also difficult to remove and are easily stained.
- Resin Crowns: Usually the most affordable option. Can wear down over time and are prone to more fractures than porcelain crowns.
- Metal Crowns: Gold metal crowns last the longest. Due to the unattractive metal appearance, metal crowns are ideal for out of sight molars. (Other metal materials used are: platinum or palladium alloys which normally show a silvery hue)
- Ceramic / Porcelain Crowns: A huge plus is that all-porcelain crowns is that they look very similar to your natural teeth.
- Porcelain Fused to Metal: Look most like your natural teeth. Susceptible to chips and cracks over time. Ideal for front and back teeth. Zirconia: Zirconia match closest to the look and feel of natural teeth. There would be no need for an impression or a temporary crown.
- Zirconia: Zirconia match closest to the look and feel of natural teeth and also last long. These are the most popular and commonly crowns done nowadays.
Professional "chairside" whitening can help you achieve your desired look in only about 1-2 hours time! Treatment cost can range anywhere from $150 - $500. A major benefit to getting teeth whitened chairside is that you can rest assured knowing your gums and tooth enamel won't get damaged. The great benefit to getting teeth whitened professionally is that the desired look can last about a year with proper care and oral hygiene.